Thursday, August 05, 2004

slowness and memory (guess which one i have)

there is a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting. consider this utterly commonplace situation: a man is walking down the street. at a certain moment, he tries to recall something, but the recollection escapes him. automatically he slows down. meanwhile a person who wants to forget a disagreeable incident he has just lived through starts unconsciously to speed up his pace, as if trying to distance himself from a thing still too close to him in time.

in existential mathematics, that experience takes the form of two basic equations: the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the degree of forgetting.

i sit and wait
does an angel contemplate my fate
and do they know
the places where we go
when we’re grey and old
’cos I have been told
that salvation lets their wings unfold
so when I’m lying in my bed
thoughts running through my head
and I feel the love is dead
i’m loving angels instead

No comments: